[Python-Dev] suggest pyportable.h (was: Make _GNU_SOURCE default for gcc ?!)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 03:01:43 -0700

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 11:45:05AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>... GNU_SOURCE ...

Seems fine, and I can't see how it would hurt.

+1

> BTW, I'm +1 on adding a mylimits.h to Python.h too. mylimits.h
> would then either include the system's limits.h file or provide
> workarounds for platforms which don't have it. Then we could drop
> the #define INT_MAX which can be found in several Python C files.

Euh... we should probably stop creating myfoo.h every time we want to
replace some "foo" header.

It would be much nicer to simply create "pyportable.h" and have it include
the various pieces when available or to create suitable defaults for them.
There would be a companion pyportable.c to define replacement functions.

Continuing to litter the Python source area with a bunch of little files for
all the edge cases on the planet... just doesn't make much sense to me. It
starts to create too much confusion/complexity.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/