[Python-Dev] Minidom and Unicode

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sat, 01 Jul 2000 14:00:20 -0500

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> I'd say +0, since the auto-converion can fail if the default
> encoding doesn't have room for the tagName characters.
>
> Either way, I'd still prefer the DOM code to use an explicit
> .encode() together with some lossless encoding, e.g.
> unicode-escape.

If we want to use a hard-coded lossless encoding, we should do so in
repr. Rather than having us fix a dozen modules with problems like this,
we should fix repr once and for all.

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski