[Python-Dev] [Mailman-Developers] Re: ML replies (was: CVS: python/dist/src/PCbuild readme.txt,1.5,1.6)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 09:34:19 -0700

At 12:16 PM -0400 7/1/00, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     GS> What about the Mail-Followup-To header? That can be helpful
>     GS> for some newsreaders (e.g. Mutt). Dunno how many observe it.
>
>It looks like VM/Emacs doesn't (which is what I use), but I'm sure
>that'd be easy to add.  I would be most interested to know what
>Outlook and NS do with it.
>
>However Mail-Followup-To: isn't in any RFC that I can find, not even
>2076.

It's non-standard, and in fact, arguably non-compliant, since any
unofficial header should be in the X-headername form.

>So there is clearly no header that will support the functionality we
>want.

This is a case where Reply-To is the correct header to set, or at
least, least incorrect.

>One potential solution for Mailman might be to lie about the To:
>address.  So in the above scenario, the message would have a To: field
>set to python-dev even though the message would actually be sent to
>the python-checkins membership.

um, uh, well... I don't like it. Even if you had Sender: and List-ID
set properly, it still seems wrong.

For this case, I think the best setup is Reply-to, because that's
waht you want: it came FROM this place, but responses go to this
other place. The proper answer is setting reply-to, not attempting to
rearrange the concept of "from this place".

As a strong proponent of "don't use reply-to!" -- this is a case
where it's the proper answer. It's not perfect by any means, since
reply-to coerces someone away from replying privately, but in this
situation, that's better than not doing it.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"