[Python-Dev] New PythonLabs site revealed!

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:00:16 -0400

Jeremy Hylton [jeremy@beopen.com] wrote:

> Perhaps I am too easy-going, but I consider the 2.0 release a
> 'dot-release' masquerading as a major revision.  It might be a little
> silly, but it seems even sillier to preserve a naming scheme that
> makes users think that the technology is immature.

I have to say I always thought Guido was a bit conservative... 1.3 ->
1.4 would have been a 3.x release from any "other company", and
certainly 1.4 to 1.5 has some major new things (exception changes,
etc).  I think X.Y means X MAY introduce backward incompatibility, but
doesn't have to.  It just means major new functionality...  I've seen
a few of our customers go... "But wait, it's only at 1.5"... yeah, so?

Chris