[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 timing

bwarsaw@python.org bwarsaw@python.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:08:11 -0500 (EST)

    GS> I was under the impression that CVS access restrictions are
    GS> based on CNRI security policy. If the CVS repository moves
    GS> elsewhere, then many people can access it without impact on
    GS> CNRI's network and security policies.

Well, access to our /internal/ network is of course restricted.  CNRI
employees have write access to the tree by virtue of access to the
filesystem (i.e. by NFS).  My current arrangement for external ssh
mediated access to a writable cvs server on an internal machine is a
hack and not something that I want to perpetuate if more users were
added.

    GS> However, if the external access issue is based on legal
    GS> reasons (for example, only CNRI people should alter Python
    GS> code), then yes: moving the repository will buy nothing.

I'll let Guido comment on policy concerning write access to the Python
CVS tree.  From a technical standpoint, if this is something Guido
wanted to extend to non-CNRI employees, the way to do it would be to
host the primary repository on a CNRI machine outside our firewall,
e.g cvs.python.org.  At that point, we'd be accessing the tree the
same as anybody else.

-Barry