[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 timing

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:08:28 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> We'd have to rework the CVS arrangement in order to give non-CNRI
> employees write access to the tree.  I think I know how I'd go about
> this, and it wouldn't be too hard, just a bit time-consuming.  If
> that's the way we're going to go, I can start making plans.

Though it may be moot if guido's going to continue mediating the checkins,
maybe this would be interesting (if only for barry, to compare
procedures).

We basically use a captive cvs-":ext:"-over-ssh method, where the captive
.ssh/authorized_keys command is quite succinct:

command="set $SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND; shift; exec cvs $@" 1024 35 ...

The shellisms (set/shift/exec cvs $@) lock the user of the qualifying key
into executing a cvs command, and only a cvs command.

Also, for us the checkins are to a public mirror of our CVS repository, so
penetration of the security there doesn't jepordize the master repository
base.  We don't currently have any outsiders checking into our master
repository, and it doesn't seem to me that CVS provides sufficiently
managable discretion for doing that.

Oh, and a disappointment - the account under which cvs conducts the
checkins is the account on the CVS server host, not that of the host where
the checkins are being done.  This means that you can't use a single
account to serve multiple remote users (preventing masquerading quite
reliably by using a separate authorized_key public-key entry for each
remote user).  Therefore we have to have distinct (nailed-down) accounts
for each checkin-privileged person - more management burden.

Ken