[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 timing

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:33:52 -0500

Barry A. Warsaw [bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us] wrote:
> All very cool things that could easily wait until 1.7.  After all,
> what's in a number?  If, as Andrew puts forth, getting a stable Python
> release with Unicode is very important for Python's future
> positioning, then I say let's go with his more modest list, mainly
> Unicode, sre, and Distutils.  We've already got string meths, tons of
> library improvements, and sundry other things.  That's a good enough
> laundry list for the next release.

Heck, Python is infinately more conservative in its numbering than
a lot of projects.  All that was mentioned would normally be enough to
call it 2.0 easily. :-)  Modesty can be counter productive in PR
business...also there is the issue of having two copies of 1.5.x installed
at the same time, which with Unicode could be a manjor consideraton
for some of us.

For me, numbering has always been (and I try and keep it this way with
Zope):

	X.Y.Z

	X = structural changes, backward incompaibility
	Y = new features
	Z = bug fixes only

Chris