[Python-Dev] new imputil.py

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 06:57:35 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, James C. Ahlstrom wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > I've attached a new imputil.py to this message. It isn't posted on my page
>
> I don't think you should be using "public domain" as a
> copyright because you should be protecting the code.
> Better to use "all rights transferred to CNRI pursuant
> to the Python contribution agreement", or just copyright
> it yourself for now.

Public Domain means there are no copyrights on the code. Anybody can claim
copyright to it. Anybody can start with my version, slap their name and
license on it, and do as they wish. There isn't a way for anybody to
"control" public domain software, so there is no need for protection.

I like to use Public Domain for code that I want to see as broadly used as
possible and/or for short things. There is also a lot that I just don't
care what happens with it. If I don't have a vested interest in something,
then PD is fine.

I wrote imputil as a tool for myself. It isn't something that I feel a
need to keep my name on it -- it works for me, it does what I want, it
doesn't matter what others do it. It does matter than other people *can*
do stuff with it, and PD gives them the most options.

Shades of grey... hard to fully explain in an email... but that's the
general sentiment. I've got a few things under other licenses, but PD
seemed best for imputil.

> You didn't incorporate the ZipImporter in
>   ftp://ftp.interet.com/pub/importer.py
> Is that because you want me to, or doesn't it work?

I had the redesign to do first. When that settles towards something that
Guido is happy with (or he has decided to punt the design altogether),
then I'll integrate the ZipImporter.

Cheers,
-g

--