[Python-Dev] Re: Python-checkins digest, Vol 1 #370 - 8 msgs

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:53:25 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > > *** INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: This changes append(), remove(), index(), and
> > > *** count() to require exactly one argument -- previously, multiple
> > > *** arguments were silently assumed to be a tuple.
> >
> > Not sure about remove(), index() and count(), but the change
> > to .append() will break *lots* of code !
>
> Agreed.  But 1.6 is as good a point to break it as any -- what's the
> point in putting this off?  This isn't big enough to wait for 2.0.  I
> could've done it in the 1.5.x series, but decided not to.

Hmm, I'd say it doesn't hurt leaving .append() as it is until
2.0. This small change will cause lots of trouble because it's
hard to find (just like the x = 2L; print x[:-1] thingie, btw)...
even though it's easy to fix.

Note: the CVS cgi.py uses list.append(x,y) too.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg