[Python-Dev] win32 specific exception in the core?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:31:17 +0100

> Im looking for closure on the Win32 specific exception.  Summary for those
> that missed the thread:

I'm sorry that I'm so late, but I was busy with other things. Anyway:

> * I would like a standard exception for Win32 specific errors.  The new
> hopefully-to-be-standard "win32reg" module could make use of it, the win32
> extensions could switch to it.  It is, in my mind at least, analogous to
> OSError.

Agreed.
>  My initial proposal called for:
>
> StandardError:
> -> EnvironmentError:
>    -> IOError
>    -> OSError
>    -> Win32Error
>
>  Which would generally lead to people writing "except Win32Error:"
>
> Tim's suggestion (as I understand it) was:
> StandardError:
> -> EnvironmentError:
>    -> IOError
>    -> OSError
>       -> CRTError (new - is what os.error would use)
>       -> Win32Error (new)

I also like Mark's idea better. MacOSError has the same problems as Win32Error
(different numbering scheme). If OSError can suddenly return numbers from one
of three sets we're bound to break a lot of code.