[Python-Dev] Re: RFC: malloc cleanup

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 02:35:23 -0500

[Vladimir Marangozov]
> OK, I'll comment first as I'm probably one of the few who understands
> (what I'm talking about :-) what's this mess is all about in its deepest
> details while having an overall vision on the issue. So I feel obliged to
> expose a more friendly explanation.

I said it before & I'll say it again:  "just do it"!  Was there some
opposition to this cleanup I've failed to notice on Python-Dev?

The "overcommitting Linux malloc" work issue I mentioned before looks like
it will require us to fiddle Python to use a homegrown malloc (that touches
every allocated byte to make sure the memory "is really there" <sheesh>), so
with or without an official patch we're going to have to get the effect of
it.  So far, my boss is highly in favor of Vladimir doing the work instead
of me <0.6 wink>.

under-the-law-silence-implies-consent-ly y'rs  - tim