[Python-Dev] new httplib?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:50:20 -0500 (EST)

Greg Stein writes:
 > Pipelining is very important... it is once of the big advances in HTTP/1.1
 > (well, the advance is really the "chunked" transfer encoding which
 > *allows* pipelining to occur more often).

  You should be able to pipeline requests even if responses don't use
chunking; if I parse the first HTML page while still receiving, I
should be able to request non-cached images or other dependencies
before the first HTML is completely received.  This allows the server
to locate the resources while still waiting for me finish pulling the
first response off the network.  It improves the possibility of
scheduling resource location at the server (possibly important if
there's a dynamic backend) as well as avoiding establishing new TCP
connections.
  (Yes, some of this can be done with keep-alive stuff, but I don't
know that httplib supports that at all.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>