[Python-Dev] Python on 64-bit AIX

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 03:01:12 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Has Python already been tested extensively on 64-bit machines ?

Back in 1996, Microsoft used Python 1.4 on Alpha machines for the
Microsoft Merchant Server 1.0 product. The thing was seriously
stress-tested and code coverage was applied to the Python source (not the
C interpreter!). It ran quite well for us. Any 64-bit issues that we found
were sent to Mark/Guido long ago.

In 1997, we shipped Site Server 2.0; the Commerce Server portion used
Python to implement some COM objects. Again: that was well-tested on Alpha
machines. In 1998, when Site Server 3.0 came out, the use of Python was
quite minimal by that point, and the Alpha testing was also minimal. We
used a Python 1.4 base for all three product releases. The Site Server
products also had my "free threading patches" applied, and used a snapshot
of the win32com stuff to implement the COM stuff.

Of course, we didn't use all of Python. The particular subset that we used
worked great. So... Your Mileage May Vary.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/