[Python-Dev] Malloc interface

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 03:33:28 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> my proposal is to have only one of these,
> and force people on non-ANSI platforms
> to provide a workaround.

I'm with Fredrik. Have a single DEL function. If a non-conformant platform
is being used, then ./configure can easily detect it and insert a
workaround.

And don't argue about a memory test introduced by ./configure. Realize
that ANSI's free() has a memory test inside it, too. Somebody, somewhere,
has to check for that NULL pointer possibility. configure will just
determine whether free() does it, or Python does it.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/