[Python-Dev] FW: [Patches] Complaints new patches list.

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:40:01 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, David Ascher wrote:

> maybe is not so unappropriate for a 14-year old =), I do think that the
> patches mailing list mechanism is only appropriate in the short-term.  In
> the longer term, a database backend with automatic notification of
> interested parties when something 'happens' to a patch is needed.
> Distributed INBOX management just doesn't work (witness python-help).
>
> That said, I'm not able to contribute to the development of such a database
> anymore than anyone else currently, so the last thing I want to do is
> complain about the status quo.  I just wanted to point out that Gerrit's
> complaint, while poorly phrased, is real, and is likely to be felt by others
> in the future.  I know I've felt similar frustration sending things to the
> Scriptics folks and seeing patches dissapear into a black hole.  I've just
> learned diplomacy over the years =).

One of the four items in the software carpentry competition is an issue
tracker, which might fit the bill. Depending on what value of "short-term"
we're able to tolerate, and the success of the software-carpentry
exercise.  Maybe we can wait for the results, or is year too long?

In fact, i should have an entry based on a zope-based tracker that we're
starting to use here, which i believe does address some of the issues. We
should have my initial version going for some trial projects on zope.org
soon, so all could see - other commitments and quirks of fate prevent me
from concentrating on packaging it up for, eg, python.org folks to
evaluate.  (My tracker only uses email for notices about activities on
issues, actions are all done via the web, i seem to recall some people
explicitly stating email actions are needed.)  I'll put a notice where to
look, when it's viewable, in case it's of interest.

Ken
klm@digicool.com