[Python-Dev] FW: [Patches] Complaints new patches list.

David Ascher dascher@mindspring.com
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:06:35 -0800

Greg:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> > More than a week ago, I sent a patch for some scripts in the Tools/
> > directory.
> [...]
> There is *NO* guaranteed response time. If you believe so, then go rethink
> things.
[...]

While I agree with Greg's reaction mostly (Gerrit was being childish, which
maybe is not so unappropriate for a 14-year old =), I do think that the
patches mailing list mechanism is only appropriate in the short-term.  In
the longer term, a database backend with automatic notification of
interested parties when something 'happens' to a patch is needed.
Distributed INBOX management just doesn't work (witness python-help).

That said, I'm not able to contribute to the development of such a database
anymore than anyone else currently, so the last thing I want to do is
complain about the status quo.  I just wanted to point out that Gerrit's
complaint, while poorly phrased, is real, and is likely to be felt by others
in the future.  I know I've felt similar frustration sending things to the
Scriptics folks and seeing patches dissapear into a black hole.  I've just
learned diplomacy over the years =).

--david