[Python-Dev] re: syntax - "Aren't tuples redundant?"

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:08:06 -0500

> > The Solaris large-file patch that makes .tell() return a long is
> > probably going to turn up more errors like this.  Making ints and long
> > ints integerchangeable would be an *excellent* idea.  Possible for
> > 1.6?  Maybe, if GvR indicates it should be a priority. 'grep -l
> > PyInt_Check' over the Python source code lists lots of Modules, most
> > of the files in Objects/, and 5 files in Python/ (ceval, marshal,
> > pythonrun, structmember, and traceback).
>
> The idea is very old, and has come up several times, but I don't recall
> Guido ever saying anything about it.  So it's safe to conclude it *hasn't*
> been a priority for him.  I can't channel him on this issue.  I'm personally
> in favor of merging them, but along with Konrad (Hinsen) am also in favor of
> doing a lot more "numeric merging" in Python 3000.  It's really unclear to
> me whether the distinction in Python1 can be erased without breaking
> programs -- but can't make time to think about it now, either.  Sorry!

I'm not sure I want to make this a priority given the accellerated 1.6
schedule, but I certainly think this is the way of the future, and I
don't expect many backwards compatibility problems...