[Python-Dev] win32 specific exception in the core?

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:52:00 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Mark Hammond wrote:

> Mainly cos the error numbers are different - (eg, compare "errno.h" with
> "winerror.h" OSError really should be named CRTError.  I dont think it makes
> much sense to have 2 different error numbering schemes use the same
> exception...
>
> I guess we _could_ tho - I still lean towards a new one, but other opinions
> would be good...

Um...my Windows programing experience is thankfully little, but I seem to
remember every "big collection" of function works with a different error
handler (the sockets with WSA...error...() is the example which comes to
mind). The OSError is very UNIX-oriented, in that it assumes a monolithic
OS with consistent errors. This problem will probably also come up when
(in a century or so) I manage to get Python working on Hurd.

How about, for windows, to derive "many" error classes from OSError on
Win32, and always return the right one?

On the other hand, Mark will correct me if I'm talking nonsense
Windows-wise <wink>
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
INTERNET: Learn what you know.