[Python-Dev] longs, too? (was: syntax - "Aren't tuples redundant?")

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:37:14 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> Not quite *that* simple; you'd also have to change various bits of the
> core that currently do PyInt_Check(whatever) to also accept longs.  I
> just sent off a patch to make long*sequence legal, but there's still
> slicing and indexing to take care of: list[0L:5L] isn't currently
> legal.
>
> The Solaris large-file patch that makes .tell() return a long is
> probably going to turn up more errors like this.  Making ints and long
> ints integerchangeable would be an *excellent* idea.  Possible for
> 1.6?  Maybe, if GvR indicates it should be a priority. 'grep -l
> PyInt_Check' over the Python source code lists lots of Modules, most
> of the files in Objects/, and 5 files in Python/ (ceval, marshal,
> pythonrun, structmember, and traceback).

Priority or not, it won't happen if the patch is not available :-)

As we say in Apache-land, "+1 on concept"

Cheers,
-g

ps. Python-land translation: I agree with the concept ... go for it

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/