[Python-Dev] patches reply-to

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:50:50 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> I retract my suggestion. Have python-patch, python-patch-discuss
> (python-patch would be replied-to: python-patch-discuss) and keep
> python-dev as a clean list. This way, people could just subscribe to
> python-patch, and when they get a patch they're interested in, they could
> subscribe to the discuss mailing list. That way, people could also
> subscribe to python-patch-discuss without subscribing to python-patch, to
> avoid the large attachments that would be sent by python-patch. Of course,
> mailman's new feature would automatically extract those attachments and
> post them up, so they can be downloaded by non-subscribers.

Guido/Barry can decide on the final structure, but I'd recommend something
a bit different:

1) drop the python- prefix. These are @python.org
2) just have "patches@python.org"

I'm assuming the mailing list would be Guido-approved and the people on it
would be required to "deal with the patch size". I think an open list
might generate some noise rather than just "work". But again: the
structure is ultimately up to Guido.

Oops. I see a post from Guido saying "let's do it." In that case, it is
probably best to move this discussion to the new list. I believe we need a
statement of subscription policy from Guido. Or at least something to the
effect of "python-dev members are free to subscribe, but you are expected
to directly/positively contribute." I am presuming in all cases, that it
would be administratively closed to non-python-dev members.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/