[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 timing

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:21:19 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Sharing your collection of suggested patches definitely increases
> > your chances to get some help and answer the authors in time!
>
> Thanks.  Apart from Tim Peters who immediately tackled a typo in the
> FAQ, no-one else has offered any help with these.  I'm glad that
> you've at least taken the time to look at them.  I'm still being
> inundated with patches...  But as long as this experiment hasn't shown
> more success I will keep them in my inbox.

I looked through some of them, but (as I mentioned) would defer any real
action until the April timeframe. At that point, I'd be more than happy to
dig in and start handling them. Properly responding to them (in a group
context) would probably need a bit of coordination infrustructure...

> Or is there a better idea?  Should I forward all patches I get to
> python-dev?  To a separate list?

<IMO>

A new list. python-dev is very constructive in that it typically has one,
maybe two or three, threads going at once. Throwing patches into the mix,
and possibly unreasonable/unqualified patches, would seem to be quite a
disruptive influence.

The (smaller) list could be much more focused, and could hold just the
truly active reviewers. People who are "just interested" could wait for
the CVS checkin notices or become active :-)

</IMO>

Cheers,
-g

--