[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 timing

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:23:03 -0500

> > http://www.python.org/~guido/patch/
> >
> > I would love any help I could get in responding with these, and taking
> > action in the form of patches.
>
> Is this just for the sake of the experiment or this patch selection
> is the one you really haven't had the time to deal with?

These are ones that I really haven't had the time to deal with
(witness the dates on some).

> I see a couple of patches proposing GC implementations (a very delicate
> issue) of which only half a single patch would be acceptable for now
> (the one renaming malloc to PyMem_Malloc).

Maybe you can help me formulate a reply?

I guess the patch collection isn't just about patches -- it's about
the general level of effort that some patches require.  I just don't
feel comfortable with saying "no" without a good reason, and "no time"
isn't a good enough reason.  So I welcome any form of comments on
these patch proposals.

> There's one message (No 8) suggesting modifications to README and to the
> python.org Web page. How can we help with that?

The README is checked into the CVS.  For the web page I will gladly
accept patches to the HTML.

> I have problems understanding two patches submitted by Gerrit Holl.
> They mention "Hallo Guido". :-)

Oops, sorry.  The first one is proposing a validate() function for
pathnames.  In the second one, the patch code speaks for itself -- it
makes an exception class conform to the rule that exceptions must
inherit from Exception.

> > I propose that if you decide that a particular patch is worth checking
> > in, you ask the author for the bugrelease or wetsign disclaimer and let
> > me know that I can check it in; if changes to the patch are needed,
> > I propose that you negotiate these with the author first.
>
> Understood.
>
> Sharing your collection of suggested patches definitely increases
> your chances to get some help and answer the authors in time!

Thanks.  Apart from Tim Peters who immediately tackled a typo in the
FAQ, no-one else has offered any help with these.  I'm glad that
you've at least taken the time to look at them.  I'm still being
inundated with patches...  But as long as this experiment hasn't shown
more success I will keep them in my inbox.

Or is there a better idea?  Should I forward all patches I get to
python-dev?  To a separate list?