[Python-Dev] Adding C ternary select (a?b:c) to Python?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 02:35:02 -0500

[Greg Wilson]
> (Footnote: check out David Scanlan's article in the Sept. 1989 issue of
> "IEEE Software".  Turns out that flowcharts are actually more readable
> than pseudocode --- the research that claimed to show otherwise was
> biased by (among other things) comparing structured pseudocode with
> spaghetti flowcharts...  One li'l bit of sloppy science, and the world
> turns its back on something useful...)

Oh, I don't know -- "visual programming" systems keep getting reinvented, so
I doubt they'll be lost to us forever:  executable flowcharts are at least
as sensible as executable pseudocode (which latter Python partly aimed for).

I'm old enough that I actually suffered many textbooks that used flowcharts.
As I recall, they were absolutely worthless -- and in reviewing a few of
them just now, I see that this assessment was far too generous <wink>.
Lines crossing willy-nilly, dozens of single- and two(!)-letter "off page
connectors", ... yikes!  If the study used spaghetti flowcharts, I expect
they used what was simply common practice at the time.  I have seen a few
good flowcharts, though, and they were cool.  How about a "folding"
graphical editor, so we could find & expand the logic levels of particular
interest without losing the big picture ...

oops-just-realized-this-has-nothing-to-do-with-1.6<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim