[Python-Dev] Adding C ternary select (a?b:c) to Python?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 02:50:06 -0500

[Tim]
>> No keyword has been added to Python since "lambda" ...

[Greg Stein]
> Actually, Tim's memory is failing. "assert" was added in 1.5.  :-)
>
> Not that this adds to the debate at all :-), but I figured that I am
> obligated to knock a chair leg out from under Tim every now and then.

Actually, in 1.5 Guido *removed* lambda; then he added assert; then he had
second thoughts about lambda and added it again.  That's why it's the last
one added.

You're right:  the older I get the less effective my bullshit gets <wink>.
Done well, young one!

> p.s. I'm against a ternary operator. use an if/else statement. use
> def instead of lambda (lambda is the only rational basis given so far to
> add the operator, but it is bogus to start with)

Ah, there's nothing like the smell of consensus in the morning!  Except
maybe napalm.