[Python-Dev] scp to sourceforge

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:58:25 +0100

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 12:08:18PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I've seen a thread on this but there was no conclusive answer, so I'm
> reopening this.

Actually there was: it's all SourceForge's fault. (At least that's my
professional opinion ;) They honestly have a strange setup, though how
strange and to what end I cannot tell.

> Would somebody please figure out a way to update the PEPs?  It's kind
> of pathetic to see the website not have the latest versions...

The way to update the peps is by ssh'ing into shell.sourceforge.net, and
then scp'ing the files from your work repository to the htdocs/peps
directory. That is, until SF fixes the scp problem. This method works (I
just updated all PEPs to up-to-date CVS versions) but it's a bit cumbersome.
And it only works if you have ssh access to your work environment. And it's
damned hard to script; I tried playing with a single ssh command that did
all the work, but between shell weirdness, scp weirdness and a genuine bash
bug I couldn't figure it out.

I assume that SF is aware of the severity of this problem, and is working on
something akin to a fix or workaround. Until then, I can do an occasional
update of the PEPs, for those that can't themselves.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>