C indentation style (was RE: [Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [Patch #102813] _cursesmodule: Add panel support)

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:31:07 -0500

[Thomas Wouters]
>>   * Guido-style:  8-column hard-tab indents.
>>   * New style:  4-column space-only indents.
>
> Hm, I must have missed this... Is 'new style' the preferred style, as
> its name suggests, or is Guido mounting a rebellion to adhere to the
> One True Style (or rather his own version of it, which just has
> the * in pointer type declarations wrong ? :)

Every time this comes up wrt C code,

1. Fred repeats that he thinks Guido caved in (but doesn't supply a
reference to anything saying so).

2. Guido repeats that he prefers old-style (but in a wishy-washy way that
leaves it uncertain (*)).

3. Fredrik and/or I repeat a request for a BDFL Pronouncement.

4. And there the thread ends.

It's *very* hard to find this history in the Python-Dev archives because
these threads always have subject lines like this one originally had ("RE:
[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [Patch #102813] _cursesmodule: Add panel
support").

Fred already did the #1 bit in this thread.

You can consider this msg the repeat of #3.

Since Guido is out of town, we can skip #2 and go straight to #4 early
<wink>.

(*) Two examples of #2 from this year: