(offtopic) RE: [Python-Dev] Python 2.0 license and GPL

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:25:12 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Tim and MAL talking about the FSF and their views]
>
> [Tim and MAL showing off as hobby advocates ;-)]

> > This is very controversial: if an application Q needs a GPLed
> > library P to work, then P and Q form a new whole in the sense of
> > the GPL. And this even though P wasn't even distributed together
> > with Q. Don't ask me why, but that's how RMS and folks look at it.
>
> Understood, but have you reread your question above, which I've said twice I
> can't make sense of?

I know, it was backwards.

Take an example: I have a program which
wants to process MP3 files in some way. Now because of some stroke
is luck, all Python MP3 modules out there are covered by the GPL.

Now I could write an application which uses a certain interface
and then tell the user to install the MP3 module separately.
As Barry mentioned, this setup will cause distribution of my
application to be illegal because I could have only done so
by putting the application under the GPL.

> You should read RMS on why glibc is under the LGPL:
>
>     http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html
>
> It will at least disabuse you of the notion that RMS and you are after the
> same thing <wink>.

:-)

Let's stop this discussion and get back to those cheerful things
like Christmas Bells and Santa Clause... :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg