[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src README,1.106,1.107

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:31:52 -0500

> + --with-cxx=<compiler>: Some C++ compilers require that main() is
> +         compiled with the C++ if there is any C++ code in the application.
> +         Specifically, g++ on a.out systems may require that to support
> +         construction of global objects. With this option, the main() function
> +         of Python will be compiled with <compiler>; use that only if you
> +         plan to use C++ extension modules, and if your compiler requires
> +         compilation of main() as a C++ program.

Thanks for documenting this; see my continued reservation in the
(reopened) bug report.

Another question remains regarding the docs though: why is it bad to
always compile main.c with a C++ compiler?