[Python-Dev] Warning Framework (PEP 230)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:26:00 -0800

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 08:21:41PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > The above strategy will allow for fully-delayed loading, and for all the
> > warnings to be located in the "warnings" module.
>
> Yeah, that would be a possibility, if it was deemed evil that the
> warnings appear in __builtin__.  I don't see what's so evil about
> that.
>
> (There's also the problem that the C code must be able to create new
> warning categories, as long as they are derived from the Warning base
> class.  Your approach above doesn't support this.  I'm sure you can
> figure a way around that too.  But I prefer to hear why you think it's
> needed first.)

I'm just attempting to avoid dumping more names into __builtins__ is all. I
don't believe there is anything intrinsically bad about putting more names
in there, but avoiding the kitchen-sink metaphor for __builtins__ has got to
be a Good Thing :-)

Cheers,
-g

--