[Python-Dev] re: So You Want to Write About Python?

Greg Wilson gvwilson@nevex.com
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:11:09 -0500

Hi, folks.  Jon Erickson (Doctor Dobb's Journal), Frank Willison (O'Reilly),
and I (professional loose cannon) are doing a workshop at IPC on writing
books
and magazine articles about Python.  It would be great to have a few
articles
(in various stages of their lives) and/or book proposals from people on this
list to use as examples.  So, if you think the world oughta know about the
things you're doing, and would like to use this to help get yourself
motivated
to start writing, please drop me a line.  I'm particularly interested in:

- the real-world issues involved in moving to Unicode

- non-trivial XML processing using SAX and DOM (where "non-trivial" means
  "including namespaces, entity references, error handling, and all that")

- the theory and practice of stackless, generators, and continuations

- the real-world tradeoffs between the various memory management schemes
  that are now available for Python

- feature comparisons of various Foobars that can be used with Python (where
  "Foobar" could be "GUI toolkit", "IDE", "web scripting toolkit", or just
  about anything else)

- performance analysis and tuning of Python itself (as an example of how you
  speed up real applications --- this is something that matters a lot in the
  real world, but tends to get forgotten in school)

- just about anything else that you wish someone had written for you before
  you started your last big project

Thanks,
Greg