[Python-Dev] stack check on Unix: any suggestions?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:53:19 -0400 (EDT)

    GS> 10k iterations on my linux box

9143 on mine.

I'll note that Emacs has a similar concept, embodied in
max-lisp-eval-depth.  The documentation for this variable clearly
states that its purpose is to avoid infinite recursions that would
overflow the C stack and crash Emacs.  On my XEmacs 21.1.10,
max-lisp-eval-depth is 500.  Lisp tends to be more recursive than
Python, but it's also possible that there are fewer ways to `hide'
lots of C stack between Lisp function calls.

So random.choice(range(500, 9143)) seems about right to me <wink>.

-Barry