[Python-Dev] stack check on Unix: any suggestions?

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:06:23 +0200

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 03:58:55PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Thomas Wouters wrote:

> > On BSDI, which has a 2Mbyte default stack limit (but soft limit: users can
> > set it higher even without help from root, and much higher with help) I can
> > go as high as 8k recursions of the simple python-function type, and 5k
> > recursions of one involving a C call (like a recursive __str__()).

> Ok, this give us a 5000 limit as default... anyone with less ;-)

I would suggest going for something a lot less than 5000, tho, to account
for 'large' frames. Say, 2000 or so, max.

> (Note that with the limit being user settable making a lower limit
>  the default shouldn't hurt anyone.)

Except that it requires yet another step ... ;P It shouldn't hurt anyone if
it isn't *too* low. However, I have no clue how 'high' it would have to be
for, for instance, Zope, or any of the other 'large' Python apps.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>