[Python-Dev] Python 2.0 License Discussion Mailing List Created

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:36:38 -0500

[Greg Ewing]
> > meaning that Python
> > 2.0 can be redistributed under the Python 2.0 license or under the
> > GPL
>
> Are you sure that's possible? Doesn't the CNRI license
> require that its terms be passed on to users of derivative
> works? If so, a user of Python 2.0 couldn't just remove the
> CNRI license and replace it with the GPL.

I don't know the answer to this, but Bob Weiner, BeOpen's CTO, claims
that according to BeOpen's lawyer this is okay.  I'll ask him about
it.

I'll post his answer (when I get it) on the license-py20 list.  I
encourage to subscribe and repost this question there for the
archives!

(There were some early glitches with the list address, but they have
been fixed.)

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)