[Python-Dev] Pragma-style declaration syntax

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:40:11 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:

> > The basic syntax in the above examples is:
> >
> >       "pragma" NAME "=" (NUMBER | STRING+)
> >
> > It has to be that simple to allow the compiler use the information
> > at compilation time.
>
> Can we have a bit more syntax, so other packages that inspect the source
> (freeze and friends come to mind) can also use the pragma scheme?
>
> Something like
>         "pragma" NAME ("." NAME)+ "=" (NUMBER | STRING+)
> should allow freeze to use something like
>
> pragma freeze.exclude = "win32ui, sunaudiodev, linuxaudiodev"
>
> which would be ignored by the compiler but interpreted by freeze.
> And, if they're stored in the __pragma__ dictionary too, as was suggested
> here, you can also add pragmas specific for class browsers, debuggers and such.

Hmm, freeze_exclude would have also done the trick.

The only thing that will have to be assured is that the
arguments are readily available at compile time. Adding
a dot shouldn't hurt ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg