[Python-Dev] New dictionaries patch on SF

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:19:44 -0400 (EDT)

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
 > Note that JPython does something similar for dictionaries that are
 > used for namespaces.  See PyStringMap.java.

  The difference is that there are no code changes outside
dictobject.c to make this useful for my proposal -- there isn't a new
object type involved.  The PyStringMap class is actually a different
implementation (which I did dig into a bit at one point, to create
versions that weren't bound to JPython).
  My modified dictionary objects are just dictionary objects that
auto-degrade themselves as soon as a non-string key is looked up
(including while setting values).  But the approach and rational are
very similar.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>