[Python-Dev] Re: c.l.p.a -- what needs to be done ?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:44:45 -0400 (EDT)

    MF> In principle, I do have the time again to do daily moderation
    MF> of incoming postings for c.l.py.a. Unfortunately, I currently
    MF> lack the infrastructure (i.e. the moderation program), which
    MF> went down together with the old starship. I was basically
    MF> waiting for a version of Mailman that could be used to post to
    MF> moderated newsgroups. (I should probably have been more vocal
    MF> about that, or even should have started hacking Mailman
    MF> myself...

All this is in place now.

    MF> I *did* start to write something that would grab new
    MF> announcements daily from Parnassus and post them to c.l.py.a,
    MF> and I may even come to finish this in September, but that
    MF> doesn't substitute for a "real" moderation tool for
    MF> user-supplied postings. Also, it would probably be a lot
    MF> easier for Parnassus postings to be built directly from the
    MF> Parnassus database, instead from its [generated] HTML pages -
    MF> the Parnassus author intended to supply such functionality,
    MF> but I didn't hear from him yet, either.)

I think that would be a cool thing to work on.  As I mentioned to
Markus in private email, it would be great if the Parnassus->news tool
added the special c.l.py.a footer so that automated scripts on the
/other/ end could pull the messages off the newsgroup, search for the
footer, and post them to web pages, etc.

    MF> So what's needed now? Primarily, a Mailman installation that
    MF> can post to moderated newsgroups (and maybe also do the
    MF> mail2list gatewaying for c.l.py.a), and a mail alias that
    MF> forwards mail for python-announce@python.org to that Mailman
    MF> address. Some "daily digest" generator for Parnassus
    MF> announcements would be nice to have, too, but that can only
    MF> come once the other two things work.

All this is in place, as MAL said.  Markus, if you'd like to be a
moderator, email me and I'd be happy to add you.

And let's start encouraging people to post to c.l.py.a and
python-announce@Python.org again!

-Barry