[Python-Dev] Looking for a DL_xxPORT macro export

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:12:11 -0400

Somebody recently added DL_IMPORT macros to two module init functions that
already used their names in DL_EXPORT macros (pyexpat.c and parsermodule.c).
On Windows, that yields the result I (naively?) expected:  compiler warnings
about inconsistent linkage declarations.

This is your basic Undocumented X-Platform Macro Hell, and I suppose the
Windows build should be #define'ing USE_DL_EXPORT for these subprojects
anyway (?), but if I don't hear a good reason for *why* both macros are used
on the same name in the same file, I'll be irresistibly tempted to just
delete the new DL_IMPORT lines.  That is, why would we *ever* use DL_IMPORT
on the name of a module init function?  They only exist to be exported.

baffled-in-reston-ly y'rs  - tim