[Python-Dev] Need help with SF bug #112558

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:53:35 +0200

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

>   I'd like some help with fixing a bug in dictobject.c.  The bug is on
> SourceForge as #112558, and my attempted fix is SourceForge patch
> #101277.
>   The original bug is that exceptions raised by an object's __cmp__()
> during dictionary lookup are not cleared, and can be propogated during
> a subsequent lookup attempt.  I've made more detailed comments at
> SourceForge at the patch:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=101277&group_id=5470
>
>   Thanks for any suggestions!

Here are some:

* Please be very careful when patching this area of the interpreter:
  it is *very* performance sensitive.

* I'd remove the cmp variable and do a PyErr_Occurred() directly
  in all cases where PyObect_Compare() returns != 0.

* Exceptions during dict lookups are rare. I'm not sure about
  failing lookups... Valdimir ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg