[Python-Dev] PyNumber_*() binary operations & coercion

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:14:55 +0200

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 09:00:56AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I just hope that with all these new operators you haven't
> > closed the door for switching to argument based handling of
> > coercion.

> Far from it!  Actually, the inplace operators won't do any coercions
> when the left argument supports the inplace version, and otherwise
> exactly the same rules apply as for the non-inplace version.  (I
> believe this isn't in the patch yet, but it will be when Thomas checks
> it in.)

Exactly. (Actually, I'm again re-working the patch: If I do it the way I
intended to, you'd sometimes get the 'non in-place' error messages, instead
of the in-place ones. But the result will be the same.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>