Patch 100899 [Unicode compression] (was RE: [Python-Dev] 2.0 Release Plans)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:37:28 +0200

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 02:32:20PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> > [Jeremy Hylton]
> > > I would like to see some compression in the release, but agree that it
> > > is not an essential optimization.  People have talked about it for a
> > > couple of months, and we haven't found someone to work on it because
> > > at various times pirx and /F said they were working on it.
> > >
> > > If we don't hear from /F by tomorrow promising he will finish it before
> > > the beta release, let's postpone it.
>
> > There was an *awful* lot of whining about the size increase without this
> > optimization, and the current situation violates the "no compiler warnings!"
> > rule too (at least under MSVC 6).
>
> For the record, you can't compile unicodedatabase.c with g++ because of it's
> size: g++ complains that the switch is too large to compile. Under gcc it
> compiles, but only by trying really really hard, and I don't know how it
> performs under other versions of gcc (in particular more heavily optimizing
> ones -- might run into other limits in those situations.)

Are you sure this is still true with the latest CVS tree version ?

I split the unicodedatabase.c static array into chunks of
4096 entries each -- that should really be managable by all
compilers.

But perhaps you are talking about the switch in unicodectype.c
(there are no large switches in unicodedatabase.c) ? In that
case, Jack Janssen has added a macro switch which breaks that
switch in multiple parts too (see the top of that file).

It should be no problem adding a few more platforms to the list
of platforms which have this switch defined per default (currently
Macs and MS Win64).

I see no problem taking the load off of Fredrik an postponing
the patch to 2.1.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg