[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/PCbuild python20.wse,1.6,1.7

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:04:08 +1000

[Me, about removing the .DLL entry from the registry]

> > Actually, there is no need to write that entry at all!  It should be
> > removed.  I thought it was, ages ago.

[Thomas]
> I would like to use this entry to find the python-interpreter
> belonging to a certain registry entry.
>
> How would you do it if this entry is missing?
> Guess the name python<major-version/minor-version>.dll???

I think I am responsible for this registry entry in the first place.
Pythonwin/COM etc. went down the path of locating and loading the Python
DLL from the registry, but it has since all been long removed.

The basic problem is that there is only _one_ acceptable Python DLL for a
given version, regardless of what that particular registry says!  If the
registry points to the "wrong" DLL, things start to go wrong pretty quick,
and in not-so-obvious ways!

I think it is better to LoadLibrary("Python%d.dll") (or GetModuleHandle()
if you know Python is initialized) - this is what the system itself will
soon be doing to start Python up anyway!

Mark.