[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [Patch #101234] Allow all assignment expressions after 'import something as'

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:30:41 -0500

[GvR]
> > -1.  Hypergeneralization.

[TW]
> I don't think it's hypergeneralization. In fact, people might expect it[*],
> if we claim that the 'import-as' syntax is a shortcut for the current
> practice of
>
>    import somemod
>    sspam = somemod.somesubmod.spam
>
> (or similar constructs.) However, I realize you're under a lot of pressure
> to Pronounce a number of things now that you're back, and we can always
> change this later (if you change your mind.) I dare to predict, though, that
> we'll see questions about why this isn't generalized, on c.l.py.

I kind of doubt it, because it doesn't look useful.

I do want "import foo.bar as spam" back, assigning foo.bar to spam.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)