[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/nondist/peps pep-0000.txt,1.24,1.25

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:11:37 +0200

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 01:21:32PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:

> BTW, my current employer assigned "tpeters@beopen.com" to me.  I was just
> "tim" for the first 15 years of my career, and then "tim_one" when you kids
> started using computers faster than me and took "tim" everywhere before I
> got to it.  Now even "tim_one" is mostly taken!  On Yahoo, I'm "tim_one_one"
> now.  I have given up all hope of retaining an online identity.

For the first few years online, I was known as 'zonny'. Chosen because my
first online experience, The Digital City of Amsterdam (a local freenet),
was a free service, and I'd forgotten the password of 'thomas', 'sonny',
'twouters' and 'thomasw'. And back then you couldn't get the password
changed :-) So 'zonny' it was, even when I started working there and
could've changed it. And I was happy with it, because I could use 'zonny'
everywhere, noone had apparently ever thought of that name (no suprise
there, eh ? :)

And then two years after I started with that name, I ran into another
'zonny' in some American MUD or another. (I believe it was TinyTIM(*), for
those who know about such things.) And it was a girl, and she had been using
it for years as well! So to avoid confusion I started using 'thomas', and
have had the luck of not needing another name until Mailman moved to
SourceForge :-) But ever since then, I don't believe *any* name is not
already taken. You'll just have to live with the confusion.

*) This is really true. There was a MUD called TinyTIM (actually an offshoot
of TinyMUSH) and it had a shitload of bots, too. It was one of the most
amusing senseless MU*s out there, with a lot of Pythonic humour.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>