[Python-Dev] Adding more LANG support to locale.py (Re: gettext in the standard library)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:59:36 +0200

James Henstridge wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > James Henstridge wrote:
> > > Well, it can do a little more than that.  It will also handle the case of
> > > a number of locales listed in the LANG environment variable.  It also
> > > doesn't look like it handles decomposition of a locale like
> > > ll_CC.encoding@modifier into other matching encodings in the correct
> > > precedence order.
> > >
> > > Maybe something to do this sort of decomposition would fit better in
> > > locale.py though.
> > >
> > > This sort of thing is very useful for people who know more than one
> > > language, and doesn't seem to be handled by plain setlocale()
> >
> > I'm not sure I can follow you here: are you saying that your
> > support in gettext.py does more or less than what's present
> > in locale.py ?
> >
> > If it's more, I think it would be a good idea to add those
> > parts to locale.py.
>
> It does a little more than the current locale.py.
>
> I just checked the current locale module, and it gives a ValueError
> exception when LANG is set to something like en_AU:fr_FR.  This sort of
> thing should be handled by the python interface to gettext, as it is by
> the C implementation (and I am sure that most programmers would not expect
> such an error from the locale module).

That usage of LANG is new to me... I wonder how well the
multiple options settings fit the current API.

> The code in my gettext module handles that case.

Would you be willing to supply a patch to locale.py which
adds multiple LANG options to the interface ?

I guess we'd need a new API getdefaultlocales() [note the trailing
"s"] which will then return a list of locale tuples rather than
a single one. The standard getdefaultlocale() should then return
whatever is considered to be the standard locale when using the
multiple locale notation for LANG.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg