[Python-Dev] configure.in, C++ and Linux

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:48:09 +1000

I'm pretty new to all of this, so please bear with me.

I create a Setup.in that references some .cpp or .cxx files.  When I create
the Makefile, the command line generated for building these C++ sources is
similar to:

  $(CCC) $(CCSHARE) ...

However, CCC is never set anywhere....

Looking at configure.in, there appears to be support for setting this CCC
variable.  However, it was commented out in revision 1.113 - a checkin by
Guido, December 1999, with the comment:
"""
Patch by Geoff Furnish to make compiling with C++ more gentle.
(The configure script is regenerated, not from his patch.)
"""

Digging a little deeper, I find that config/Makefile.pre.in and
config/makesetup both have references to CCC that account for the
references in my Makefile.  Unfortunately, my knowledge doesnt yet stretch
to knowing exactly where these files come from :-)

Surely all of this isn't correct.  Can anyone tell me what is going on, or
what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark.