[Python-Dev] BSDDB 3 module now somewhat functional

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:37:27 -0400

A.M. Kuchling <amk@s222.tnt1.ann.va.dialup.rcn.com>:
> The handwritten BSDDB3 module has just started actually functioning.
> It now runs the dbtest.py script without core dumps or reported
> errors.  Code is at ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/amk/new/ ; grab
> db.py and the most recent _bsddb.c.

I see I wasn't on the explicit addressee list.  But if you can get any good
use out of another pair of hands, I'm willing.

> I started from Greg Smith's 3.1.x port of Robin Dunn's module.  You'll
> have to struggle a bit with integrating it into Greg's package and
> compiling it (replacing db.py with my version, and modifying Setup to
> compile _bsddb.c).  I haven't integrated it more, because I'm not sure
> how we want to proceed with it.  Robin/Greg, do you want to continue
> to maintain the package?  ...in which I'll contribute the code to one
> or both of you.  Or, I can take over maintaining the package, or we
> can try to get the module into Python 2.0, but with the feature freeze
> well advanced, I'm doubtful that it'll get in.

I'm +1 for slipping this one in under the wire, if it matters.

I'm not just randomly pushing a feature here -- I think the multiple-reader/
one-writer atomicity guarantees this will give us will be extremely important
for CGI programmers, who often need a light-duty database facility with exactly
this kind of concurrency guarantee.
--

The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their
possession any swords, short swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other types