[Python-Dev] Re: indexing, indices(), irange(), list.items()

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>   I hadn't considered *not* using an "in" clause, but that is actually
> pretty neat.  I'd like to see all of these allowed; disallowing "for i
> indexing e in ...:" reduces the intended functionality substantially.

I like them all as well (and had previously assumed that the "indexing"
proposal included the "for i indexing sequence" case!).

While we're sounding off on the issue, i'm quite happy (+1) on both of:

          for el in seq:
          for i indexing seq:
          for i indexing el in seq:

and

          for el in seq:
          for i in indices(seq):
          for i, el in irange(seq):

with a slight preference for the former.

-- ?!ng