[Python-Dev] Re: gettext in the standard library

James Henstridge james@daa.com.au
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:54:30 +0800 (WST)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> What I'm missing in your doc-string is a reference as to how
> well gettext works together with Unicode. After all, i18n is
> among other things about international character sets.
> Have you done any experiments in this area ?

At the C level, the extent to which gettext supports unicode is if the
catalog was encoded in the UTF8 encoding.

As an example, GTK (a GUI toolkit) is moving to pango (a library used to
allow display of multiple languages at once), all the catalogs for GTK
programs will have to be reencoded in UTF8.

I don't know if it is worth adding explicit support to the python gettext
module though.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au