[Python-Dev] Re: os.path.commonprefix breakage

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:02:09 +1200 (NZST)

Skip:

> maybe we should move it to some other module
> that has no directory path implications.

I agree!

> Perhaps string?  Oh, that's deprecated.

Is the whole string module deprecated, or only those parts
which are now available as string methods? I think trying to
eliminate the string module altogether would be a mistake,
since it would leave nowhere for string operations that don't
make sense as methods of a string.

The current version of commonprefix is a case in point,
since it operates symmetrically on a collection of strings.