[Python-Dev] autoconf question: howto add to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS?

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:15:08 -0700

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 08:55:41AM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 04:55:42PM -0700, Trent Mick wrote:
>
> > I am currently trying to port Python to Monterey (64-bit AIX) and I need
> > to add a couple of Monterey specific options to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (or to
> > whatever appropriate variables for all 'cc' and 'ld' invocations) but it
> > is not obvious *at all* how to do that in configure.in. Can anybody helpme
> > on that?
>
> You'll have to write a shell 'case' for AIX Monterey, checking to make sure
> it is monterey, and setting LDFLAGS accordingly. If you look around in
> configure.in, you'll see a few other 'special cases', all to tune the
> way the compiler is called. Depending on what you need to do to detect
> monterey, you could fit it in one of those. Just search for 'Linux' or
> 'bsdos' to find a couple of those cases.

Right, thanks. I was looking at first to modify CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (as I
thought would be cleaner) but I have got it working by just modifying CC and
LINKCC instead (following the crowd on that one).

[Trent blames placing *.a on the cc command line for his problems and Thomas
and Barry, etc. tell Trent that that cannot be]

Okay, I don't know what I was on. I think I was flailing for things to blame.
I have got it working with simply listing the .a on the command line.

Thanks,
Trent

--
Trent Mick